Enjoying Deconstructing “The Small Things”

Editor’s Note: This blog entry was written in August of 2010. So, if you find it through a Google search, read it and lose your shit, know that you are losing your shit over something that is old news. -MO2

I can’t promise this will be my last “I hate Kelle Hampton” or “Kelle Hampton is so annoying” post, but I will try.

Maybe.

Lately, my efforts to train Baby V to love television have been paying off thanks to NickJr.  Her first words some mornings are “Yo Gabba,” and I am not making that up.  She is 15 months old and she picks up the remote, points it at the TV and says, “Gabba!  Yo Gabba!  Gabba Gaaaaaaaaah.” It’s both cute and it scares me.  Other than “Yo Gabba Gabba!,” I love NickJr. because there are no commercials!  I can put my kid in front of the TV for years to come and not have her beg me for the sugary cereal she will assure me is “part of this nutritious breakfast.”  There are, however, little educational clips and crafting ideas.  Over the past weekend, a segment on making Dora the Explora cupcakes ran over and over and over and over.  At one point, Odie was in the room when I was watching it and he wondered out loud, “What kind of crazy bitch DOES THAT?”

Kelle Hampton does that.  She just wrote a blog post about it (with a totally avoidable usage error in the title of the post).

In true Hampton style, she put on her dead grandmother’s apron, took a million photographs of herself with perfect lip gloss, and then wrote about how it was MAGIC to make cupcakes with her “little sprite,” but how woefully awful the cupcakes turned out (cue the: “I’m pretty and helpless, now rescue me” pout).  The self-deprecating comments about her failure to make Dora cupcakes are accompanied by pictures of her PERFECT cupcakes (cue 700 comments telling her how perfect her cupcakes are).

And I think that between my friend Mrs. K-6 and me* (read her blog at http://mrsk6.wordpress.com), we managed to unearth some reasons why we don’t care for this woman’s blog.  We’re not in complete agreement on it, though.

I mentioned in my post about couples counseling, “Analyze THIS, bitches,” that I’m reading a book with my husband about getting the love you want.  The book taught me about my “disowned self” as well as projection.  I think that there are things about Ms. Hampton that I also hate about myself.  I’m insecure and need outside validation.  I’m vain.  I think my kid is the most gorgeous kid in the world, and I torture other people with pictures of her.  But instead of hating me, I’m projecting those qualities onto her and hating her.  So, my bad.  Although I certainly am not talking about my homemade crafting qualities.  Because those aren’t hidden.  They don’t exist.

Something has always bugged me about her famous blog post describing Nella Cordelia’s birth and Kelle’s response to it.  Like a splinter in my brain, I couldn’t stop worrying it.  I think I’ve got it now.  My friend Mrs. K-6 was disconcerted that “she didn’t love her baby!”  When I first read the story, that didn’t bug me so much.  In fact, I think that not so deep down in places I don’t generally talk about at parties, I could identify with that feeling.  Not so much not loving the baby, but of not wanting to have a baby with Down Syndrome SO much, that the overwhelming emotion was grief.

Nella Cordelia’s birth story reads like a heart-warming tale of a loving family that welcomes a special needs child into its hearts and home.  Or DOES it?  To me, it reads more like a spoiled, selfish woman who gets a “less than perfect” child and is devastated because of the blow to HER EGO.  Most of us have a birth plan that includes details of how we do or don’t want to be medicated and if we want to breastfeed immediately after. Kelle’s birth plan included like thirty-five of her closest girlfriends and hand-decorated champagne glasses. She prepared perfect little favors for guests to take home from the hospital!  She wore a goddamn TIARA for her birth, people.  A crown.  She thinks continuously about the adorable outfit she was wearing when she went into labor and how she can’t even look at it because it hurts too bad to remember her perfect life before this tragedy.  She admits that she wants to put that cute little ruffled skirt on and take her perfect, healthy daughter and LEAVE HER DISABLED CHILD.  Run away, she writes.  Go back in time to when she was not the mother of a special needs baby.  And she invites the reader to reassure her with every post that she is a great mother (or “a wonderful mama to her ‘littles'” as they usually phrase it).  She writes the birth story as a victim.  The photos underscore this.  Look how pretty I am and look what happened to me! You can almost hear her moaning, “Why did this terrible thing happen to MEEEEEEEEE?”

She admits that the first night with baby Nella she cried and entertained dark horrible thoughts. I wonder what they were. With all of the honesty and self-disclosure, why shroud this in mystery?

In the blog posts before and after this groundbreaking one, she takes a million photographs of herself and her kids and thousands of people assure her every week that her daughter with DS is BEAUTIFUL.  They all agree to collude with her and pretend that nothing is wrong!  We will all go along with you and this charade that life is perfect.  That there is “magic” in that extra chromosome.  She is very lucky because Nella does not have the problems many children with DS have.  No heart defects or breathing problems or seizures or reflux, at least not that she mentions.

I get that her blog is about “enjoying the small things” and it’s a philosophy of life that chooses to look for the good.  I mean, there’s nothing wrong with “accentuate the positive.”  What bugs me is all of the fawning admiration.  Her phony self-deprecation that is begging for reassurance of her goodness. She needs to rename her blog, “VALIDATE ME!”  And the comments really reinforce this underlying theme that all that really matters is what people LOOK like.  Nella is so beautiful.  Lainey is so beautiful.  Kelle is so beautiful.  And that makes everything okay.

Sour grapes, you’re probably thinking.  Could be.  Probably is.  I repeat my sentiment, published in a previous post, that I wouldn’t want to change places with her.  It makes me sound pretty shallow that I wouldn’t want a less than perfect child.  But nobody does. Kelle Hampton didn’t either. Now that I am pregnant at 38 for the second time, I am acutely conscious of what is possible for me.  Nobody wishes for that, but I would like to believe that I would not feel sorry for myself if it happened to me and that I would quickly learn to count my blessings instead of enumerating my complaints.  Or, like Kelle, count my money. Her child’s disability made her famous.  She had a big following before Nella, but the birth story propelled her into the stratosphere. She was interviewed on CNN.com! She would not be talking to Oprah’s people or publishing a book if Nella Cordelia had been born with the usual number of chromosomes.

Remember the scene in “Tootsie” where Dustin Hoffman’s character Michael and his roommate Jeff (played by Bill Murray) are having a party?  They keep cutting to Jeff, who is an out of work playwright, talking to a group of sycophants.  He keeps saying hilarious random things like, “I want a theater that’s only open when it rains.”  Having thousands of people fawning over me would be inauthentic, because they can only ever know my self-created persona. My favorite line in the above mentioned scene from “Tootsie” is when Jeff tells his audience that he doesn’t want people to tell him they love his plays.  He says he wants people to come up to him like a week later and say, “I saw your play, man.  What happened?”  I’m sure it is amazingly fulfilling to have hundreds of women tell you that you are AN AMAZING MAMA and your children are SO BEAUTIFUL and that you are a terrific writer who inspires them.  That your point of view makes them want to change their lives (and also to leave the addresses of THEIR blogs in your comments so that others may conveniently click on them). None of it is REAL, though. It’s all carefully crafted to look a certain way. It’s a work of fiction.

I want a blog that’s only open when it rains.

*the correct pronoun here is “me.”  Most people would want to write “myself.”  Myself is a reflexive or an intensive pronoun.  It is used incorrectly so often on television that it has become a pet peeve of mine.  I may even start a fan page on Facebook: People who hate the egregious misuse of “myself.”  Here are the two acceptable ways to use it:  I’m really digging myself a hole by creating enemies out of Kelle Hampton’s legion of fans (reflexive).  And: I, myself, will be the first to admit that envy is one of my primary motivations (intensive).

This entry was posted in Essays/Commentary, Pure side-splitting comedy and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Enjoying Deconstructing “The Small Things”

1. Katy says:

Haha! I totally added your blog to my google reader because you hate Kelle Hampton. And it’s not because I hate people who have a positive outlook on life…it’s the constant need for validation. Enough already! (Also, I’m a special ed teacher, and that woman is blissfully ignorant of what she has coming to her.)

I write a blog that has sort of devolved from a travelogue to a daily recap of where I took my daughter. (I don’t like the direction it’s going, but it’s a run-away train.) However, I can seem to manage either parenting or photo-taking, but not both at the same time. So even though I had a fairly magical day with my kid today, you’ll never know that because I have no photographic evidence. And instead of writing about my magical day on my blog, I’m reading about how much you hate Kelle Hampton. Which frankly, is a more pleasurable way for this mama to spend her evening

What does that say about me?

Never mind. Don’t answer that. I don’t need the validation.

• MrsOdie2 says:

You are so beautiful! Your child is so beautiful! You are such a great mama! You inspire me to get out of bed in the morning!

There. You get validation anyway.

2. MrsOdie2 says:

Dear Kelle Hampton lovers, the hate mail is a little bit awful. Ms. Hampton put herself out there as a writer, and I critiqued her. Nothing personal. Just writing my piece. I assure you that I’m not “just jealous because [my] daugter (sic) is not as adorable”.

It’s all just comedy people. Let’s lighten up.

3. mrsk6 says:

If that bitch gets on Oprah, random threat I won’t follow through with.

Shannie’s right, it’s total crap. You can dress up a box of shit with pretty ribbons and bows, but it’s still a box of shit underneath (adapted from “Tommy Boy”).

I just don’t get how all of her followers don’t see that SHE DIDN’T LOVE HER BABY and admitting it isn’t brave, it’s a plea to social services to keep an eye on her. Bring on the hate mail.

Note to self: Rent Tootsie.

4. Trixiebell says:

Does this self-centered diva Kelle Hampton (God, even her name is grating!) get to post the comments she chooses? Are there any posted comments on her site that don’t worship her bony butt? I could check myself, but the last time I looked at her site, I went into diabetic shock. It made me laugh so hard, because I actually thought it was a parody of a mommy blog.
    I bet she gets piles of hate mail too, but sends it off into the Bad Land of Icky Elves.

• Melinda Chasowitz says:

OMG! Yes – I wrote anonymously and told her I was amazed at how she’s able to parent and be a partner with all the time she spends in front of the camera. She wrote me back – I don’t know how the bitch got my email but I marked it as junk and delted it before I opened it. I did make one other comment about her “poppa” – you know, the old guy with the 1980’s dyed-blond hair. I said what a handosme couple he and Gary make. Also, some friends of mine who live in Naples are still waiting for pictures after a year.

5. MrsOdie2 says:

Stop writing replies to my blog that are funnier than my blog.

Thanks,
    The Management

6. janice says:

She has no credibilty because she wants to convince the masses that she has nothing short of a perfect life. I doubt that. She reveals that her father (the totally obnoxious “Poppa” that answers for his 31 year old spoiled bitch of a daughter in the comment section) is gay. Sounds like he discovered this after he already had a wife and something like four kids. Why doesn’t she write a post about that one? How Poppa left us for another man? No, that wouldn’t be perfect enough. She is a fake bitch. That is all.

7. MrsOdie2 says:

Somebody posted my website on her comments list, and I hope she or “Poppa” deletes it. I do NOT want the wrath of those people raining down on me. I don’t need that. I already got a couple of truly nasty emails from people who think this Kelle Hampton lady walks on water. To each her own.

8. Beth says:

I think Hampton wishes she was Martha Stewart. I had an ex-sister-in-law just like her but without all the annoying pictures and the blog. Everything in her life had to be perfect, look perfect and life just had to be out of Town And Country magazine or she couldn’t cope. She was a joke. Well, after several years the woman ended up becoming a raging alcoholic and went through 2 marriages. No one could stand being married to a cardboard cut out. Hampton is a clone! And remember, Martha Stewart’s husband dumped her and her daughter Alexa has made it known that her childhood was pretty miserable due to Stewart’s quest for perfection. Put down the camera Kelle and raise your “Littles”. (God she is so annoying with those stupid terms!)

9. MrsOdie2 says:

I hope that her DS child is as unaffected by the condition as possible. I certainly wish no ill will on the babe. But the perpetuation of the idea that people with DS are special little angels sent to us from God dehumanizes them and disrespects them. I don’t think it helps other people with DS children to read this idealized idea. Now, that said, babies are babies and they’re ALL special needs creatures. Drooling, sitting in their own poop. No need to rush to the hard scary part. I’d want to stay in Fairy Rainbow land too.

10. MrsOdie2 says:

And I don’t “hate Kelle Hampton.” I just say that so that when people Google “hate Kelle Hampton,” they get my blog. It’s marketing. I freely admit it. I don’t know her. I’m sure she’s a lovely woman. But I don’t care for her purple prose.

11. Mary says:

Last night I randomly clicked on Kelle’s blog and wanted to throw up when I read that she had a spread in Parenting maganize. I shared that with coworker who has kept reading the blog after I stopped in the spring because I couldn’t take the sugary sweet pretend world she lives in, anyway my coworker shared your blog with me. I’ve been laughing all morning as I’ve read your articles and the comments. I too have have a child with Down syndrome. Riley is 3 and is amazing… I also have an 8 year old son that is amazing. Riley is a very healthy and high function lil guy that keeps us running and even with all of his sucess I’d be telling a bold face lie if I tried to convice you that the fact that he has Ds hasn’t changed our world. Lets be honest having a child is amazing and at the same time some days are rough. The puke still smells like puke even if your child has an extra chromosome or not.

Thanks for the laughs this morning! I’ll be back to read more of your blog.

12. Lisa says:

A friend of mine sent me a link to your post here because she knows that I have a certain strong distaste for Kelle Hampton. I really appreciate a lot of the things you wrote here. It’s a little difficult, though, as a mother of a child with Down syndrome, to read your take on having a child with Ds, since you do not. And I’m not here to try to promote my perspective or anything – and I’m NOT one of those people who thinks people with Ds are magical or divine in any way – they’re just people who have an extra chromosome. I’m an atheist, so all the “special gift from God” bullshit kind of gags me. Anyway, I do want to say that, though you may not be able to understand why some people choose not to have prenatal screening done, there are a variety of valid reasons. I did not have prenatal screenings done, and so finding out my son had Ds after he was born was a shock (though, it would have been a shock either way, just the timing would have been different). I did not decline prenatal screening because of any pro-life, Christian bent (though, as an atheist, I can say for sure that it is entirely possible to be pro-choice AND pro-life). The risks of invasive testing weren’t worth it to me, and in all honesty, I just never imagined that I would have anything other than a “typical” child – not because my life is so perfect that I deserve no less than perfect (like Kelle), but because I really just kind of figured that I had paid my dues in life with lots of other crap, and I just couldn’t fathom that the lightening bolt of a special needs child would strike my particular life. Arrogant and perhaps delusional? Sure. But not so unusual. I did have a 20 week ultrasound which did not reveal any anomalies (like a heart defect), and that was enough for me to go forward with the birth I had planned and feel safe about it. I honestly don’t think I would have aborted had I found out during pregnancy though, and that is a big problem I have with prenatal screenings – it feeds society’s quest for perfection and has made it too easy to accept any child who is deemed less than perfect. Life is a crap shoot – even if you give birth to a “healthy, typical” child, there are never any guarantees. That “perfect” child can develop autism or fall victim to some horrific accident or illness leaving them less than perfect (and turning them, perhaps, into one of the drooling, helmet-wearing “retarded” kids one of your commenters describes), and I can guarantee that you would still love them with all your heart and want the best for them and think their life not valueless. So, I guess my point is that just because some of us refuse prenatal testing, it doesn’t mean we “deserve” what we get. It’s not about that. You get pregnant, you have certain hopes and expectations, and when something goes awry, there is a grieving process and a period of coming to terms with it all. Nothing wrong with that. One of the big problems I have with Kelle is that she made it all look so easy and perfect on her blog, like she found instant nirvana after she found out her baby was not the baby she had expected. She wrapped it all up with a pretty bow, made it all look like window dressing, and sold it to the public, and the public lapped it up, and the whole thing just makes me want to throw up. I don’t feel that she’s honest, and even if she is, if her life really is that perfect and pretty, all it does is serve to make us slacker moms, us normal moms who yell at our kids and rarely get out of the house in anything other than sweats and a headband, feel like shit about our lives. I have much more respect for people who are honest about their lives, about their struggles, about the good and the bad, instead of trying so very hard to make everything look perfect and glossy and beautiful.

13. Caryl says:

Super funny. I dig the sugary posts on the Hampton blog since, most of the time, life is just one big FUBAR waiting to happen. So when I OD on Hampton Sugar Cookies, I jog on over to Scary Mommy, who talks about all kind of realistic parenting bullshit. And now I’ve found this blog, and I’ll probably hang out here, too.

Caryl

14. Angela M. says:

I thought I was the only one that thinks Kelle’s blog is annoying!!!

Everyone and everything around this woman just becomes props for her photos. And I have NEVER seen ANYONE take SO MANY photos of HERSELF!

I appreciate the fact that she raises funds for DS charities but she won’t always be farting rainbows. Reality will hit.

Who is going to look after Nella when she’s dead? What about when Nella isn’t a baby anymore and she meets someone and that guy wants to have sex? Yeah, I can’t wait to see the blog entries then!

15. Angela M. says:

I also wonder if she’d be blogging if her baby with DS wasn’t “high functioning.” I know a couple who adopted a child with DS. This child is severely retarded, can’t speak, is cross-eyed, and will never progress beyond grunting and playing with toys suitable for a 6 month old. That just wouldn’t fit in with KH’s vision of rainbows and unicorns, would it?

16. Carly says:

I appreciate your perspective on Kelle Hampton’s blog. However, I do enjoy reading her blog when I need a pick-me-upper. It’s obvious you have no idea what it is like to have a child with special needs. It isn’t easy and it isn’t always pretty. I agree the world isn’t made up of rainbows and unicorns, but after I’ve had a day in which I have witnessed yet another child die from the same life-threatening condition as my daughter’s condition, it makes Kelle’s unicorns, rainbows and fairy tales appealing to me.

I do not know what it’s like to have a special needs child. I am sorry that you have those bad days. It sounds terrible. I know that a lot of people like what she’s selling and get lots of comfort from it. However, I don’t think that me not liking KH’s blog is because I “just don’t get it.” I just don’t like it.

17. shannon says:

I started to say what I really felt about your blog… in a nice way. I deleted it all and decided to say…I wish blessings on you and your family and the sweet baby girl you are growing in your belly! I wish blessing on your marriage that it would be all you need it to be! That your heart would be filled with love today! Life is so hard but us moms with DS babies love them just the same and see all the beauty we see in every child’s face. We all have struggles and we all deal in different ways. We celebrate everyday our families and the love we are blessed to have. I am not a doormat, I have just learned this past year especially it is easier to see the good in people and stop being critical. I hope you have a really great day…and I truly mean that!

Mama of 3 boys!

18. Nicole says:

I also thought I was the only one who thinks she’s super annoying. Really, does EVERYTHING have to become a photo shoot? Thank you, thank you, thank you for saying this in “public” on the internets. BTW, if she is really talking to Oprah’s people, then that’s just one more in the string of lame assholes that Oprah has associated herself with….I mean, really, if you’re in the company of Dr. Phil, how well is your life going???

P.S. I just read that she used to teach 5th grade…this woman who was homeschooled. Did she actually go to college? Because I’m sure all accredited institutions of higher learning are gung-ho to accept some idiot who probably couldn’t tell you the year the Civil War started.

19. Jes says:

WOW!!

The disgust, with Kelle Hampton, being displayed on this blog is sad!! When WE (myself included) find ourselves facing the challenge of raising a child with special needs, we do grieve. Kelle Hampton grieved!! Call it selfish or vain, it is a death in its own right. The life we dreamed of has been altered and we have to find a new “normal”. We feel immense sadness, grief, and guilt. We do question, “Why me?” Is that wrong?? It’s part of the grieving process. Kelle has been able to take what she was handed and make the best of it. You can be annoyed by her “unicorns and rainbows” way of living but don’t judge her for her reaction to Nella’s diagnosis. We all handle it different and if you don’t have a child with special needs, you certainly have no right to judge another’s reaction. It’s like telling a victim of sexual abuse to, “get over it, it happened “x” years ago.” Unless you have walked in those shoes, just be compassionate.

Secondly, the last person made a comment on being homeschooled. REALLY!! Homeschooling does not make one ignorant of historical facts. Why would you assume that she received a “less than” education?

The devisivenesss we as women use to tear each other down is just sad and completely unnecessary!! I wish you and all your followers the best.

I always think it’s interesting that so many commenters bring up the “we’re all women, we should support each other” mantra. Bullshit. Some women are completely horrible and deserve nothing but our contempt. Others are annoying and deserve our scorn. I have a vagina, but I still can say Sarah Palin is a moron and Kim Kardashian is a talentless slut without being “anti-woman.”

• weavealicious says:

haha! touche! i am on the fence with kelle, she makes me feel like a shitty mom, and then want to be a better mom too; therefore i hate her and like you. i like your wittiness and your honesty.

20. alexandria says:

Your a kunt. Misspeeling perpusly plased to grait att yer hyer then normal intulekt.

These are your words: “Anyone who takes pleasure in criticizing her, or anyone else for that matter, is just so insecure in their own struggles and life. You just do this to make yourselves feel better I guess. I don’t think that way, so I can’t relate. I wonder if it works for you all. Do you then feel better about your own lives after trashing another? Do you really??”

Do YOU feel better now?

21. Laura says:

I’ve been reading, and probably will continue to read, KH’s blog. I have a son with DS who is graduating high school and I love her pictures of her little one. It reminds me of the good old days. On the other hand, something about her blog has troubled me for a while. I couldn’t quite put my finger on it and it seems like now I have stumbled across an entire internet full of bloggers with posts like yours that have done that for me. Thank you. I still don’t know if I can quite articulate the way her blog troubles me personally, but it does on many levels. Yet I still like looking at the pictues. Go figure.

I think her last “real” post was the one about Nella’s birth. And some of the things that may have shocked you or horrified you were, if nothing else, honest. I appreciated that. I could kind of relate to the real bits. Not the tiara b.s. and the monogramed crap in the delivery room, but some of the raw emotion. There are ugly grieving moments that come with this diagnosis. Fortunately, for most of us, those get left in left behind fairly quickly. I kind of wonder if her blog is her way of coping, and making her life look perfect is a big part of that, but I digress…

I do have to admit, having a kid with DS has pulled out the more Pollyanna aspects of my charachter. Actually I didn’t know those were in there. Someone who knew me during my teen angst years full of thick black eyeliner and Metallica t-shirts recently commented on this. Basically along the lines of: “What in the hell happened to you?” I’ve gotta say, there is something about my kid, I don’t know…he really is special and he does bring out the best in me. And Special Olympics…don’t even get me started or there will be pink fluffy bunnies and rainbows here in a moment. I don’t want to say that I buy into Kelle’s particular brand of schmaltz, but crap, there is something about these kids. I don’t f-ing know what it is. Almost 18 years after what I thought was the worst thing that ever happened to me (mind you I was 17 years old at the time myself) everything really did turn out pretty great. See? I even make myself gag. Yet, I’ll make no apologies for it.

All this rambling to say, I can see this topic from a couple of perspectives, which I why I think I can stomach her blog (in small doses). On the other hand I really appreciate your honesty and your posts. You’re the one keeping it real and ultimately that is what I prefer to read.

Thank you.

Congratulations on your son’s graduation. That must feel great.

I think motherhood brings out the Pollyanna in all of us. Teaching does sometimes, too.

22. Laurel says:

Oh my god. This is awful. Seriously, are you really criticizing a woman like her? I know she is not the only mother out there with a child with down syndrome, but she was brave enough to share her heartbreaking story with the world. And it is not only to show off her family that she is so lucky to have, or so she can get reassurance from loyal readers of her blog, but it has raised awareness of Down Syndrome for many people and has comforted other parents of children with DS who were not as brave to write about it publicly.
    To criticize her so awfully, is just pathetic on your part. You, being a person who actually tried to get your 15 month old child to “love” television. Wow. That in it of itself is ridiculous. You’re damaging your developing child’s brain. If you knew anything about basic child development you would know that TV is not appropriate before age 3 AT LEAST, let alone 15 months.
    I am appalled.

Regarding the television issue: Please look up “irony” in the dictionary. God bless!

• Laura says:

Wow Laurel, I find this to be an interesting sentiment:

“…and has comforted other parents of children with DS who were not as brave to write about it publicly.”

What does bravery have to do with any of it? That confuses me. I also have a kid with DS. Why would I need to be brave to write about him? Isn’t that just something any mother with a blog would do?

Wow, I guess I will add bravery to my list of attributes. Although, am I still brave even if no one reads my blog? Or am I only brave if I have a ton of followers. Am I still brave if I got over the “heartbreaking” aspects of his arrival onto this planet with an extra chromosome, and 18 years later I just think he’s a cool guy? Am I still brave if I could give a crap that he has DS and I think of him as a person first and foremost rather than a “heartbreaking” syndrome? Am I still brave if I don’t find anything particularly “heartbreaking” about being his mother or the fact that he happens to have said chromosome?

Hmmm… color me perplexed and/or brave.

• Laurel says:

I didn’t say “brave” for talking about DS in general. I said it about her because she said and wrote things that some people think at first but would never say out loud, let alone for everyone to read it. I think you may have mistaken my words. I didn’t mean anything bad.

I intitially felt that KH was brave to admit she didn’t want her baby when she found out the child was imperfect. I wrote as much. I came to believe later that her posts had a lack of authenticity that displeased me. And then the cash-in began. Fame is a hell of a drug.

23. Asa says:

You sound like a miserable person. Lighten up.

24. Julie says:

you deserve all the hate mail you get. Kelle never says she didn’t want nella. and furthermore, isn’t incessantly blogging about how much you hate her, just going to get more people to read her blog? in that case, continue.

25. Kathy says:

LOVE your authentic voice, thank you for your honesty!

26. april says:

You are still getting so many comments on this post and it was written almost a year ago. Good for you. Anyway, you wrote: “She writes the birth story as a victim. The photos underscore this. Look how pretty I am and look what happened to me! You can almost hear her moaning, ‘Why did this terrible thing happen to MEEEEEEEEE?’ ” I just don’t agree with you. I don’t think she wrote her story as a victim. And I can’t hear her moaning those words. I think you are off base. Just a friendly disagreement.