Oscar Nominees, Affleck robbed

I have previously written that I lack empathy. I blame this on my childhood. I repressed my feelings as a defense mechanism to protect me from the pain of my parents’ divorce. Recently, I’ve had cause to reevaluate this characterization of me.

It isn’t that I lack empathy. It’s that my empathy causes me so much pain that I will do virtually anything to push it down. In my 40 years on this earth, “anything” has included food (especially sugar), sex, alcohol, self-mutilation, exercise, starving, binging and purging. Those are uncomfortable things to confess. Now that I’m a mom, I take more honest looks at myself. I do not want my daughters, who will someday (pleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease) be women, to suffer as I have, to believe they are not enough and that their feelings will kill them.

I regularly have to remind myself that my feelings won’t kill me either. They are intense and terrifying and painful, but they do pass.

It’s gotten to the point where I can’t bring myself to watch most movies. I love movies, and I look forward to the Oscars every year. I want it to be like the old days when I’d seen all of the films and had strong feelings about the outcomes. Despite access to those Oscar screeners that people pass around this time of year (allegedly. No lawbreakers here, officer. Move along) I haven’t seen the nominees. “Life of Pi” looks compelling, but someone told me there is animal suffering in it. No thanks. I’m a Daniel Day-Lewis fan, but (spoiler alert) I know what’s in store for the President in “Lincoln.” A movie with the word “Beast” in the title is probably not a good bet for a depressive still teetering on the edge of postpartum depression. As much as an American film called “The Miserables” is destined to bring me down, a French film titled “Amour”? Likely to be the most depressing fucking thing ever.

That leaves me with “Argo,” and I’m not going to lie. I have a Ben Affleck thing. I never saw “Daredevil,” so I’m still capable of taking him seriously. I enjoyed “The Town,” although I found myself uncomfortably fixated on the child of the whorey Blake Lively character, imagining what kind of sad life was in store for him (her? I’ve blocked it out). It wasn’t as bad as “Gone, Baby, Gone”. After that film, I had to actively force myself to do a therapeutic technique where I aggresively replaced my intrusive thoughts with different thoughts. Not with wine.

I’m going to bite the bullet and watch “Lincoln.” Pun intended. I know it works out well for the slaves, at least. I don’t need to even bring Quentin Tarantino into this conversation, do I? When I was in college I went to see that movie every living human being was saying was the best movie they had ever seen ever and that filmmaking had been elevated to nosebleed heights as never before. My innocence died that day in the Sunday Matinee of “Pulp Fiction.” I don’t think that “ass rape” and “masterpiece” ever get to be in the same review.

“Argo” makes the cut as well. I’m going to make my husband watch with me, so if Ben Affleck is good, Odie will stop constantly singing that song from “Team America: Word Police” whenever he’s feeling romantic.

“I need you like Ben Affleck needs acting school…” Maybe the Academy had that infernal tune stuck in their heads while filling out the ballots.

This entry was posted in Confessional Stories of my Past, Essays/Commentary and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Oscar Nominees, Affleck robbed

1. Brama says:

Not an Affleck fan but Argo was brilliant. His performance very low key. Think he deserves directing Oscar but don’t think he was even nominated. He was robbed!!

• Michael says:

I think he lost Hollywood credibility–whatever credibility he had–from dating Jenny from the block, Jenny been around the block, whatever she was calling herself (although, on a completely separate note, kudos to him for nailing her).

The other thing is, you’ll be happy to know (which I’m sure you do) you can both be empathetic AND have sex, alcohol, etc. But since at the time you were trying to suppress empathy, I think you chose some good vehicles by which to supress your pain. I use sex to supress horniness.

• Sara says:

Hahaha! “I use sex to supress horniness.” brillIant!

I tend to be something of a hair-splitter, so here goes. You use sex to EXpress horniness, not to SUPPress it. You’re. Welcome.

• Michael says:

Thank. You. But I’m quite something of a hair-splitter myself. There are times when sex has nothing to do with horniness, and I might just be expressing love rather than horniness, or power, anger, nerves, affection, silliness, etc. And it is at those times and others like it when I use sex motivated by other means to suppress the horniness I will no doubt feel sometime later that day, hour, tomorrow–whenever. So, I kind of fuck the horniness away. Not that it ever works, because I’ll end up horny anyway. But I try. And I think my efforts are well worth the failure.

2. KeAnne says:

I used to see so many movies pre-child. I miss it. There are many years in which I haven’t seen a single nominated film 😦 Huge DDL fans in this house (he may have been a major contributing factor in why we named our son Daniel). I haven’t seen Argo but I’ve heard only good things & a coworker and I were discussing Affleck’s snub yesterday. It seems odd to me that a movie can be nominated for Best Picture but the director isn’t nominated. Did it direct itself?

I have a soft spot for Affleck from his Dazed & Confused and Good Will Hunting days, so I’m glad to see him back on track and doing well.

3. Rebecca says:

Affleck was definitely robbed for Best Director. That movie was well crafted and that credit belongs to him as much as anyone else on the crew. My best friend says he didn’t get nominated because he hasn’t apologized for Gigli yet. I haven’t scoured the internet to see if that is true or not, but it certainly made me snort.

4. Kit says:

Haven’t seen any of the nominated movies but might like to see Silver Linings Playbook. Surprised Kathryn Bigelow and Helen Mirren weren’t nominated too.

5. Mrs. Dubose says:

I spent most of my life running from my feelings but I found myself swimming in other people’s feelings. I am trying very hard to change that. I have learned that if I let myself feel sad, it goes away much sooner than I thought.

Les Miz was a beautiful movie.
    I am going to see Lincoln although I am already bored by it. (Hopefully I am wrong.)
    Team Affleck.

6. Tracy says:

This is just the type of Mrs. Odie I love! Bravo for sticking to your twice weekly. I used to make fun of my mother’s avoidance of sad movies, the news, depressing articles, etc, telling her it was her duty (or something along those lines) to try to imagine where other people are coming from. Now I’m a mother. I don’t say a word on the subject, and I try to keep my mind easy, just like her.

7. Val says:

& my son & I will look at each other sometimes, intoning “Matt… DAMON!”
    “Lincoln” WAS boring, even though DDL was fantastic – so it was worth sitting through just for his sake… I would have like “Silver Linings Playbook” much more if Jennifer Lawrence had been more age-appropriate. Middle-aged guy falls in love w/Sweet Young Thang – yawn, seriously?
    (Her sex-addiction phase was treated comedically; if JL had been older it probably would have been handled as a tragedy.)

8. Julie says:

We have to read Life of Pi for my Ecocriticism class this semester. I didn’t even know they had made it into a movie. I’m so out of the movie-loop. My husband and I are just now watching movies that came out in 2009. Tickets are too expensive, most movies suck, and we’ve been so overwhelmingly busy with the girls that everything takes a back seat. Especially crappy movies made by people who spend way too much time and money celebrating themselves and their own (self-proclaimed) ‘genius.’ Hmm, I guess I feel stronger about ‘Hollywood’ than I realized. Weird.

9. Kit says:

Sorry Mrs. Odie….didn’t know where to post this but wanted you to see it, in case you want to weigh in. Kelle Hampton has crossed the line now. Wow….so sad 😦

• she's a pathetic excuse for a mother says:

KH has serious problems imo. WTF would be sooo desperate for attention as to post nude pics of their disabled child on the internet? CPS should investigate that psycho and her husband is a ball less asshole for allowing his child to be exploited by her own mother.

I am going to respond to this in a whole post. I have been busy and am still struggling to create a regular writing schedule. My post about narcissistic mothers is still in a draft phase. I had to do a bit of research for this one.

I don’t think she is abusing her children in a way that requires the state to intervene. I do think the father of these children needs to act like a father and tell Ms. Etsy Unicorn Pigeon Toes that he will not tolerate naked photos of his children on the internet. But I won’t hold my breath.