Tiny little vignette to keep me writing

How do I do it? I never fail to find a man or a woman who thinks me

A. Tiresome

B. Unappealing

C. Sorely lacking in something essential

D. All of the above

and attach all of my self-worth to that person’s opinion. I threw my back out doing the “Love me, love me, love me!” dance.

As for the person who stopped me in the hallway and said, “I really enjoyed visiting your classroom”?

Delusional.

What about the person I work for who called me a “superstar”?

Just being nice.

The stranger at the coffee shop who asked me what I did for a living, then responded, “You must be ‘the hot teacher'”?

Visually impaired.

The only person telling me the truth about myself? The only person in the world I can believe? The one who rolls their eyes at what I’m saying and doesn’t bother to answer my email.

You know. You’re nodding as you read this and saying, “Yep, that’s me.”

What is wrong with you?

This entry was posted in Essays/Commentary. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Tiny little vignette to keep me writing

1. Meghan says:

Nope not me! I may not comment all the time, because I usually have nothing pithy or on point to say. However, I get an email every time you post and every time I immediately come here and read and laugh with you or at you (but with love) and the fabulous way you describe your shenanigans! Although, you will now file me away into the “she’s crazy” column because you have a hard time taking a compliment I see. That’s okay, I am a wee bit crazy!

2. Michael says:

I can relate. Not that I’m a hot teacher or anything, but yeah: there’s no way you’re going to dupe me into believing you hold me in high regard. If they only knew what I was really like. So, to answer your question: I don’t know what’s wrong with me. How’s the working out thing going?

• Mrs Odie says:

I’m also not a hot teacher. My spinning instructor coincidentally ALSO recently asked me, “So, are you the hot teacher?” When I related this story at the lunch table, an attractive male colleague of mine snorted and said, “Did you tell him, ‘No’?”

The working out is going okay. My workload and motherload (not motherlode) have caused me to half-ass pretty much everything, but I’m still hitting the spin studio at least twice a week. Thanks for reading, Michael.

3. Carolina says:

Well, there it is. I actually read your entire blog, in chronological sequence, from head to tail.

It is so refreshing to find someone who can not only paint a truly multi-dimensional picture using simply the written word, but who also does it with a perfectly balanced combination of solid technique and impeccable craft.

And, as for the working out, my personal experience has been that my body won’t be bullied into more than a few times a week of something that doesn’t push me too hard. If I exceed that gentle threshold, I suffer the consequences. Every time I get on a “daily workout” bandwagon, I end up regretting it deeply a few weeks later. Not because I fail, but because success at compliance with such a regimen invariably carries unwanted physical fallout: I get ill, injured, hungry, and fatter.

Twice a week spin class would be far and above a better course of action for me than trying to strong-arm myself into a 5-6 times a week routine.

Please remind me of this come January. I usually fall for the trap at the turn of the New Year.

• Mrs Odie says:

I cannot tell you how much it cheered me to read this. Thank you. If I could make my living writing, I would. Well, I’d still teach because I love my students, but I’d hire someone to grade papers and such. Your compliment means the world to me, thank you, thank you, thank you.

I know what you mean about working out. At one point, I was doing 5 days a week and I lifted my leg up to stretch and got a horrible cramp in my quadriceps. It suddenly occurred to me: “I could get injured! Then where would I be?!” It made me realize how much of my self esteem was dependent on my workouts. I just worked out Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday. I should have gone today but didn’t so I have to go tomorrow. So frustrating how I still struggle!

Thanks for reading!